What a lovely day of music making we had on Saturday at the June ‘Blow the Dust off your Instrument’ day! 120 players took cover from the heat in Nottingham’s Albert Hall for a fabulous day of Elgar, Leroy Anderson and Queen!
12 DAYS TO GO!
The countdown has begun to the big BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! We’re so excited to welcome so many singers and players (over 400 performers!) to the 2 days to help us celebrate.
As well as the 2 concerts (Spotlight on Youth on Saturday 1st July and A Musical Celebration on Sunday 2nd July) here is what else will be on offer…
- Video messages from Sheku Kanneh-Mason, Brian Kay, John Rutter and more!
- MfE’s new world drumming ensemble will be playing in the Osborne Suite before the concert on 1st July and Sunday Afternoon Big Band and Flute Choir will be playing in the Osborne Suite before the concert on 2nd July.
- There will be an exhibition taking you back through the decades, including photos, letters and the famous MfE pencil!
We’d love to see as many as possible in the audience, so do encourage family and friends to come along to watch and support on both days, details below.
Saturday 1st July, 3.30pm ‘Spotlight on Youth’
Ticket prices: £10 for adults, £5 for children/students
Link to book tickets: https://www.music-for-everyone.org/event/a-musical-celebration-spotlight-on-youth/
We are beyond excited to be welcoming one of Britain’s finest folk-fiddle players of the moment, and MfE youth alumnus Sam Sweeney to headline this concert.
Sam will be performing one of his own numbers from his recent album ‘Escape this’ as well as joining the combined strings and voices of MfE’s youth ensembles for a special arrangement and world premiere of a local Nottinghamshire folk-song about… watercress!!!
The event will also feature music from our talented bands, strings and singers and there will be something for everyone to inspire the next generation of Nottingham born and bred music-makers.
Sunday 2nd July, 3.30pm ‘A Musical Celebration’
Ticket prices: £15 for adults, £7.50 for children/students, includes souvenir programme and birthday cake!
Link to book tickets: https://www.music-for-everyone.org/event/a-musical-celebration-concert/
Bringing together over 300 performers from Daytime Voices, Orchestras, the Nottingham Festival Chorus, Chamber Singers and Concert Orchestra and opening with a brand new fanfare commission by Libby Croad ‘Hail, Bright Cecilia!’ the concert also includes ‘O Fortuna’ from Orff’s Carmina Burana, ‘Hallelujah Chorus’ from Handel’s Messiah and more!
Other things that are turning 40 this year!
- Microsoft Word (the very first version 1.0) was launched in 1983!
- Star Wars: Episode VI – Return of the Jedi was released
- ‘Red Red Wine’ by UB40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc
- The Sunday Afternoon Big Band, Flute Choir and members of the youth bands enjoyed a jazz workshop with celebrated jazz musician Tony Kofi yesterday – learning new techniques and getting to grips with improv! Well done all who took part!
Have a great week!
Your friends at MfE.
www.music-for-everyone.org | 0115 9589312
10 Goose Gate | Hockley | NG1 1FF
#MfEMondays are Music for Everyone’s weekly emails designed to keep you up to date with MfE events & to circulate interesting finds, special features, and musical musings for your Mondays! We are aiming to send out something new each week.